Sunday, November 8, 2015

Basel


Spalentor was first stop. This is a city gate . When I got off the bus at Splaenator, there was this guy saying "Tickets Tickets" Now I knew that Splaenator does not have tickets.
Ok, In Switzerland, I hadn't been approached by anyone for tour guides, hotels, come eat in my cafe, I'll get you a good rate on exchange or any of those touristy nightmares one gets to endure. So with my drop dead glare, I said a definititive "No!" and kept walking. But this ponytailed bulky person followed me and said " You don't understand. You have to". Huh? What now? I rolled up my sleeves and was ready to win this fight. I mean, I've haven't been out-touristed in hard core Jaipur or Marrakesh.
.. And then he says "I'm a Ticket Inspector. Show me your bus ticket" Aaaaaaiyiyi. Embarassed. Red in the face, apologized profusely to him and his co workers who by now were probably getting ready to the Swiss equivalent of lathi charging me.

Crossing the road, I was still too hassled to click photos and quickly made it to the other side of the city gate.
Visited the university. Then to the Marketplatz in frnont of the Rathaus (town hall) where local farmers bakers sell their wares. Crossed Tinguely fountain with its weird magical mechanical contraptions which may not be quite art but are fascinating nevertheless.  Walked all along the river. Light green canopy above almost all the way.

On the way, totally by chance, I came across an ancient waterwheel, black huge circle powered by a stream. Just ahead( probably part of) was a rampart and a gateway. Its called the Mulhouse or the Mill. It now houses the paper museum. The Kunstmuseum - the main one is under renovation and its Cezanne collection was at the contemporary art museum. There were some other artists as well. Got to see Van Gogh's brilliant self portrait and some Monets. 

Theres this store called CoOp that shoestringers can live on. Bought some bread and cheese and fruit and lunched on the riverside. I mean.. This, I tell you, is living. The river, is so clean, you can see the pebbles at the bottom. People swim here. Apparently, that's another must do in Basel. Me, I chose to take the motor less boat across to Tinguely. The Tinguely museum was worth the visit. The entire museum is experiential. You can start off this mechanical set of wheels and shoe and drum and typewriter topped off with a feather to do its dance. There were a bunch of kids on a school field trip and they were fun to watch. Some of the contraptions even got applause from the kids.

In the evening, after an unsuccessful  search for live music, finally settled near the Munsterplatz with some wine and cheese and watched people bowling Basel style.

No comments:

Post a Comment